A Guide to Classic Who references (and other references) in The Sarah Jane Adventures episodes.
Sarah Jane Adventures series 1 episode 4 (Story 3 part 2): Sarah Jane Smith and her new friends discover that gorgons are real.
Warning: May contain Spoilers for
"Eye of the Gorgon Part Two"
- Doctor Who 02-03 - "School Reunion" (Suggested viewing - reintroduction of character.)
- Sarah Jane Adventures 1-00 - "Invasion of Bane" (Suggested viewing - introduction of characters.)
- Sarah Jane Adventures 1-01 - "Revenge of the Slitheen Part One" (Suggested viewing - introduction of character.)
- Sarah Jane Adventures 1-01 - "Eye of the Gorgon Part One" (Required viewing - First part of two-parter.)
[OLD] - Things that first appeared in the classic series of Doctor Who (or the film.) Episode List.
For context, the following are also covered:
[1ST] - The first appearance of things in Doctor Who and related shows.
[NEW] - Things that first appeared previously in the new series of Doctor Who.
[SJA] - Things that first appeared previously in The Sarah Jane Adventures.
The following references were also made in previous episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures and so are listed again here. To get to the new references, skip ahead.
- [OLD] Sarah Jane Smith - Sarah Jane Smith was companion to the Third and Fourth Doctors (From "The Time Warriors" (Season 11) to "The Hand of Fear" (Season 14).) She was given her own K-9 unit in the K-9 & Company pilot "A Girl's Best Friend." She returned to the Doctor's side in "The Five Doctors" and the New Who episode "School Reunion."
- [OLD] Sonic Device - Sarah Jane has sonic lipstick, like the Doctor's sonic screwdriver.
- [SJA] The Key to the Portal - First appearance of this object.
- [OLD] Gorgon - The Second Doctor and Zoe encountered the Gorgon Medusa in the Land of Fiction in "The Mind Robbers" (Season 6). As it was in the Land of Fiction it wasn't a real Gorgon, but rather a manifestation of the Greek myth.
- [OLD] The Yeti - The Yeti or Abominable Snowman anthropomorphic cryptid from Nepal/Tibet. In the story aptly named "The Abominable Snowmen" (Season 5) the Second Doctor encountered robot Yeti in Tibet in 1935. The Yeti had been created by the Great Intelligence who again let them loose in the London Underground decades later ("The Web of Fear" (Season 5) where they were again encountered by the Second Doctor. Although these were robots, there is an ambiguous suggestion that they were based on real creatures at the end of first story. In "The Five Doctors" the Second Doctor encountered a Yeti in the Death Zone (which had been captured with the Time Scoop). It is unclear if it was one of the Great Intelligence's Yeti robots or a real Yeti (if they exist).
- [NEW] Henrik's - The department store Rose worked in the new Who episode "Rose" is now being advertised on the door of Maria's mum's taxi as she leaves.
Do a poll on my blogs.
The Time Crash blog was created to help New Who fans understand Classic Who references - and to know if something isn't a reference but a new idea. If there's a reference I missed or a subject that you feel needs more explaining, please comment.